Saturday, October 19

Beautiful things

Walking, for me, is not just about getting from A to B while having some exercise and perhaps seeing some nice views.

Anyone who's ever been for a walk with me knows that I am always pausing to look at things, pick things off bushes or off the floor, taste blackberries or muse about the name of a flower or tree.

On a recent walk from Cuxton on the Medway I found/picked/came across many beautiful things.


Bushes laden with sloes - gathering the sloes for this year's gin being the main aim of the walk.


Beautiful bracket fungi on a tree trunk.


A vast array of Shaggy Ink Cap fungi, which provided a welcome and unexpected foraged supper.


Evidence of chestnut woodlands being successfully managed - the coppiced shoots in the clearing contrasting beautifully with the tall trees surrounding them.


A carved bench on the edge of the woods; a pleasant and thoughtful place to pause and eat our apples.


Fabulous sycamore seed skeletons - the filigree pattern of the wings put me in mind of winter trees, which fascinate and perhaps even obsess me.

3 comments:

Sue said...

Them filigree wings is like two left (or right) feet. Love the pairs and groups of things.

Knit Nurse said...

I hadn't noticed that they are nearly all pairs or groups! Must be the logical, engineering-led part of my brain.

colleen said...

I keep thinking it must be time for sloes, but have not had a chance to get to the places I know I'll find them. To do, to do...