Sunday, January 22

Lemon and chia seed cake

Yes I know, it's been a while! I've been so busy and it's difficult to find time to post on here alongside everything else.

This week I made a fantastic cake and wanted to write it down so that I can remember how to make it again! I've very much taken to chia seeds - I know they are a trend which immediately is a black mark against them, but I love the texture of them when they've been soaked in coconut or oat milk to make a dessert, and I've started trying them out in other things too.

Chia seed, mango & pumpkin seed pud

The original recipe is here but I wanted to write it out with the converted measurements etc. I'll probably print it out and put it in my recipe book too but for now here it is.

Looks plain but tastes heavenly!

115g butter (softened)
200g sugar
200g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
245g yoghurt
1 tbsp lemon zest
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp chia seeds

Put the oven to gas mark 4 and grease and line a 20cm diameter cake tin.

Mix the flour, bicarb, baking powder and salt.

Cream or whisk the sugar and butter together, then add the eggs one at a time. Beat in the lemon juice and zest.

Add half the flour, then mix in the yoghurt and chia seeds before adding the remaining flour.

Put in the tin, level the top, then back in the lower part of the oven for about an hour, till it's golden brown and the top springs back when pressed.


Cool in the tin for 15 mins before turning out.



3 comments:

colleen said...

Seeing as your Granny's boiled fruit cake is one of our household staples - my mum pronounced the last one as perfect - I'll definitely be giving this one a whirl.

What better way to say hello again than with a cake?

Knit Nurse said...

Hello again! It's been soooo long! Hope the cake met expectations!

Clipping said...

Very nice post. Thanks for sharing with us.