Tuesday, December 18

First attempt



I am so chuffed! Look at this! My first attempt at spinning, all on my own without any help!

I took a trip up to the Handweavers' Studio in Walthamstow last week, and picked up some little sample bags of different types of wool; the white shown here is unnamed cheap mix (I think it was just labelled 'carded white wool' or something).

But I was also yearning colour, and luckily stumbled over Julieta's stall on Greenwich Market, which I had totally forgotten about. I don't go down there very often and only popped in to go to the healthfood shop... but luckily for me, I wandered round the stalls a bit and found her. And she sells little balls of merino roving in lovely colours - more appropriate for felting I think, but suitable for my initial attempts and enough to sate my appetite!

That's what the pink is. It was much more difficult to spin, but I found it easier if I made the effort to pull it all apart and fluff it out before starting.

What I was most pleased about was my success at plying - although I'd only seen it demonstrated the once, I found it very simple to do and it worked out brilliantly!

And now the big question; what to make with my little sample? Egg cosy anyone?!

4 comments:

natalie said...

Gosh, that's really pretty. Well done.
You do know that you have to keep this for ever and ever don't you?
For posterity. It's bordering on an heirloom.

n

DDKK said...

Thanks! I might consider having it preserved in a glass case ;-)

The MacKay Way said...

Fab!
I've been DYING to learn drop spindle...(like I need another hobby!)

Beautiful!
You should get a cheese plate with a glass dome and just leave it on display until it strikes you what to do with it.

natalie said...

IKEA used to make sort of box-frames. They were about 7 or 8 cm deep with a glass front. I'm not sure if they still do them but they'd be perfect for displaying yarn... must remember to look the next time I visit that emporium.