Thursday, August 28

Secrets and surprises

First the surprises:

1. I am running low on sock yarn! All that knitting from stash is finally paying off, and thankfully it's IKnit Day in just over a week, so I'll be able to get my sock yarn stash back up to the appropriate level. Which in general terms, means there is so much that I'm embarrassed to show it all to other people, even knitters!

2. I am starting a new MAJOR project! Which links to another surprise...

3. I have finished the Somewhat Cowl!

So, more details about number 2. I am probably going to make the Central Park Hoodie out of my glorious stash of Coldharbour Mill aran yarn, colourway 'mulberry'. I am currently swatching, and I can tell you, it's great to be knitting with 5mm needles after so long on 3.75mm and lower!!!

The final work to be done on the Somewhat Cowl is to stitch the ribbed collar down; I started it last night but had to go to bed in the end as it got too late. Getting to the end of six and a half inches of ribbing around a low neckline nearly killed me! It was heavy work with the whole of the jumper hanging on the needles, and it was DULL! Especially after doing three inches at the bottom of each sleeve and three inches round the bottom of the jumper! But I did it, and I will be modelling the finished item just as soon as it's ready!

Now for the secrets:

1. I have bought a loom! Well I have put a deposit down on it, I am going to collect it tomorrow from Patricia in Loughborough, whom I met via Ravelry. She is selling the loom for her friend Lily, who has been weaving on it for years but now wants to get rid of it. It is a table loom with four shafts which apparently means it's very flexible in terms of what you can make with it. I'm very excited about it, just hope it will fit in the car! I still haven't quite found the right moment to break the news to the Curse. Do you think I will be able to get away with the 'what, this old thing? I've had it for years!' approach? Hmm, didn't think so. Although we do have some very big cupboards in our house, not sure I could convince him it's been in there since we moved in! So for any of you Blue Flaggers reading this (you know who you are!); no leaks please! There will be some pictures just as soon as I get the little beauty home!

2. I am going on holiday on my own! Well that's not strictly speaking a secret, but I've only just decided on it. A week of cycling in the Brecon Beacons and thereabouts, so look out for torrential rain throughout South Wales in mid September.

That's quite enough bean-spilling for today, I'm off for a nice lie down!

3 comments:

smug sheep said...

You haven't told him about the loom?! Well, good luck with that one!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the fruits of the loom!

Rowan said...

you mean that Pat doesn't read your blog? shame on him :)

I won't breathe a word and Sal's gone to Venice, so you're safe. Won't he notice you've gone to Loughborough though?