Sunday, March 3

Where did February go?

February seems to have been and gone in an unseemly haste - a mishmash of work deadlines (two publications in one week - argh!) and weekends with some rather difficult stuff mixed in, in particular a whole tranche of painful redundancies at work. 

St Paul's Church, Deptford
But there have been some lovely bits, and here's a taster - and a reminder that it's not all been grey doom and gloom like the past week!


A walk around Box Hill and Polegate Lacey went past this lovely youth hostel at Tanner's Hatch. It's buried in the woods of Surrey although not really that far from civilisation but looks like a great place for getting away from it all.


I had a very different day out in Kent with a walking group - I'm used to walking on my own or with one or two people, so a group of 20 was rather daunting. Loved having someone else in charge of the map reading and navigation and the company was fun. The photo above is Oldbury Hill - you know how much I love winter trees, this was like my idea of heaven. Planning to return to this walk in the spring, as there were a lot of beech trees and this woodland will be even more spectacular with a canopy of fresh green beech leaves.


Above and below: early morning bike ride along the Thames path. Sometimes I take this beautiful part of London for granted, which won't do at all. And I have almost as many pictures of the Thames Barrier as I do of trees. Just call me an engineering nerd.



Backing up my last comment - here's a few more tree photos. The one above is the rather creepy tree roots in Trosley Country Park in Kent; below a heavily-weathered tree trunk alongside the Greensand Way near Knole in Kent.


The most recent cultural delight was a long-overdue visit to Chatham Dockyard - despite it being freezing cold we had a fantastic time watching rope being made in the huge ropery, and visiting all the ships. The cold-war submarine which sits in the beautiful dry dock was my particular favourite although the tour of the incredibly compact interior backed up my assumptions about how I'd feel to be confined in such a space even for a short time.



1 comment:

Leezz said...

I particularly love the weathered tree trunk - beautiful!