This lovely recipe came to me from my good friend Suze, handed down by her mum. I invariably picture Mrs Cooke in an apron, busy at work in front of the solid fuel stove that kept their kitchen so toasty throughout the winter.
6oz (150g) plain or bitter chocolate
2tbs fresh orange juice
quarter oz butter (about 10g)
1tsp orange zest
3 large free-range eggs, separated
1. Melt the chocolate with the orange juice in a heat-proof bowl over simmering water. Beat until smooth.
2. Add the butter and zest, beat again.
3. Take the pan off the heat, add the yolks and beat again.
4. Whisk the egg whites until they are stiff, then fold carefully into the chocolate mixture until it is combined.
5. Pour into one large bowl or individual ramekins and chill until it sets. Serve with grated chocolate on the top.