Sunday, November 29

Norwegian star earflap hat


The hat has finally been presented to its recipient - only to come back home again with me for a little alteration. That's the problem with making something as a gift, although I had the measurements I couldn't try it on for the full effect until it was finished. It ended up being a bit too pointy so I'm adjusting the rate of decrease on the crown.

I used the Norwegian star earflap hat pattern by the awesome Tienneknits with a bit of adaptation (the pompom was a must, the ties were unwanted). It was simple enough to use, and I made it in Rowan cashsoft 4ply, which I used double.

I knitted the hat first, then picked up stitches and knitted the earflaps from the top down, reversing the instructions and decreasing rather than increasing.

It was very well received!

4 comments:

Probably Jane said...

Excellent hat!

pixlkitten said...

I like the gray and gold together. Wearing a gray hat around here makes your head look camaflaged.

jane said...

What a beautiful combination of colours! The pompom is perfect too. I love it.

Gareth Gardner said...

Too right it was well received! I was gutted that it had to slip from my grasp and be returned for slight alterations.

The grey and gold are a fantastic combination and the pom pom is the fluffy cherry on the cake.